Google

Monday 26 February 2007

Profit, profit, and yet more profit - Private hospitals and their motto

Just to follow up on the health care.

Private hospitals in Addis are alleged to charge a very exaggerated rate for the medicines used by patients during their stay there. Inside sources say that the hospitals charge up to 5 times the price of the medicine one would be required to pay at a pharmacy. A friend of mine informed me that they had to pay more than one thousand Birr for two – three hundred Birr worth of medicines, after his relative had stayed in one of these hospitals for six days.

I heard that the government controls the pharmacies and they can make a maximum profit of only 10%. It would be good if the authorities pay a visit to these hospitals.

Please leave your comments and let me know if you’ve had a similar experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Subject: Rejection of Discriminatory Practices by Ethiopian Airlines

Dear Addis Watch,

I am sorry to post it as a comment. I couldn't find a better place.

On January 24, 2007 in Bahir Dar, Ethiopian Airlines denied boarding to Ethiopian passengers without their consent. The principal reason was because they were Ethiopians.

I do not personally know the people who were treated this way. But I believe that everyone of us should be treated equally. The last thing I want to experience is discrimination in my own country which I am most proud of. I insist that Ethiopian Airlines improves the way it treats it's customers.

A petition is underway. You can see the full story along with the petition here http://www.gopetition.com/online/11240.html

I hereby ask you to read the full story and consider notifying your readers about it.

Thank you.

Ethio Sun said...

Hi

I think that is going to be more worse. Sorry for my realistic pessimisim.

In a governmental system where the public servants are also primary stake holders of pharmacies or other health related private companies (since almost all ex- communists have become a capitalists) it may be unwise to think the government will protect the people.

Crossing my fingers,
Aida

Addis Watch said...

EThio Sun,

I don't understand what you exactly wanted to say....

Addis Watch